Thursday, April 19, 2012

The road to Ashboro--part II

Elizabeth (my GPS) keeps turning me down these roads with no center stripes.  I think Elizabeth must be very independent-minded since I never meet any other cars whose GPS's lead them to these little roads.


But down this road I found the Stony Mountain Vineyards.


Run by a very nice couple who absolutely insisted I do some tasting....


Their front porch was inviting....but

































their back porch with a glass of their blackberry wine was wonderful. I left with several bottles under my arm.  Thanks, Elizabeth.



There are many of these old factories along these small country roads.  Most are connected in some way to tobacco or cotton processing.  Someone here told me that most of the fabric factories went out of business because US-grown cotton now goes to China to be turned into shirts or pants or sox--it's more 'cost-effective'.


In the last week I have been in the hometowns of Carl Sandburg, O'Henry, a dozen or more sports figures and Kellie Pickler (if you know who she is then you need to get out more!)
These little communities are well-kept and, to my surprise, seem healthy enough.  The downtowns are not thriving too well though as most of the customers now shop at the Walmart store on the edge of town.  The old time drugstores, appliance stores and dress shops have been turned into antique shops and (another surprise) evangelist churches.


Is this new math?  It is certainly easier to remember than 'First National' or 'Bank of America' or some other pompous generic name.  For years I've been asking for banks to become smaller, more personal and accessible--like 'Bob's Bank' or 'Bank of Linda and Sally'.


Don't you wonder about the story behind this old abandoned house?


How old? Who lived here?  How many children grew up playing in this yard? What did the parents do to make a living?


Along this road are lots of farms and almost everyone for miles has a sign like these in the yard. I learned that the town of Seagrove  (pop. 300) is the pottery capital of the country--and has been since the 1700's!


Wow! That is what I call tradition.  And their most popular product?  Whiskey jugs--made during the 1920's and 1930's when moonshine ruled.  There is a festival here in a few weeks but I will be gone by then.  I suspect it would be great fun but I would be tempted to buy a jug or two and I just do not have any more room.


Nuff said.
I have actually been to Why, Arizona and now to Whynot, North Carolina. I am truly world-traveled.
  

Post office in Cedar Falls, NC.


Another abandoned factory. 
 I will be out of Internet range again for a day or two while parked on a lake in a state forest.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Come visit us and we will take you to Nowthen, MN. Love your blog! Becky

    ReplyDelete